Exhibitions in Italy for Ceramics

The Italian ceramics industry has revived following the pandemic. Turnover has skyrocketed in the two-year period from 2021 to 2022; one of the fastest recoveries in an otherwise challenging post-pandemic landscape. This growth is owed to the increase in both domestic and international demand. Nevertheless, Italian manufacturers are faced with a new obstacle – rising production costs, particularly in energy and raw materials. Energy shortages and transportation difficulties cast a shadow over the promise of exponential growth. Inflation has hit the energy market the worst, partially due to the disruptions caused by the Russia-Ukraine war, which directly impacts energy costs. Massive shortages of essential raw materials as well as logistical challenges pose a threat to the sector’s profitability and competitiveness, raising apprehensions among industry stakeholders. That’s not to say the Italian ceramic tile industry hasn’t demonstrated resilience, surpassing pre-pandemic levels of production. The demand for Italian ceramics soared globally with the domestic market experiencing growth after two decades. This resurgence is attributed to Italy’s reputation for excellence in style, quality and innovation. Synonymous with timeless beauty, Italy maintains its position as a global leader in the ceramic sector. In 2021, the Italian ceramic sector recorded impressive sales figures with 459 million square meters sold domestically and 367 million square meters exported, marking a 12% and 13% increase, respectively, compared to 2019. Notably, exports saw significant growth in key markets such as the United States, Germany, Belgium and the Netherlands. Total production rose by approximately 25%, reaching 430 million square meters. Italy’s far from throwing in the towel. Adaptability is one of its core strengths, and we’re already seeing investments in technology, innovation, and sustainability being made to maintain the sector's global competitiveness. Additionally, strategic measures to address cost concerns, such as enhancing supply chain resilience and adopting energy-efficient practices, will be imperative for sustained growth and profitability.

Want to stay informed about the latest trade fair and hotel news? Consider signing up for our newsletter.